Frequently Asked Questions
Incoming students 2021
• Are we really going to start in September?
The academic year at the Apple Developer Academy will start in September with no exceptions. Although we are doing our best to start in-person, the situation with the covid-19 pandemic is the only factor that will have an impact on this decision. In case we are not allowed to go in-person, we will start online.
• What is the start date of the Academy?
First day of class will be Monday, Sep 27th. We recommend that you are settled into the city a week in advance. This will ensure that your lodging accommodations are well sorted and that you have a comfortable first day
• When are we going to sign the contracts?
You will sign your contracts well in advance of the starting date of the Academy. We expect to complete this phase by the end of July 2021.
• I am a non-EU student. Will I be able to get a VISA for me and my wife?
In order to obtain your Visa, what you need from our side is a signed contract. You should have enough time from the end of July to submit your Visa application. However, we strongly suggest to get in touch in advance with an Italian Consulate near you.
• Where and how do I get the equipment?
Being this a course that takes place in-person, students are required to be in Naples. This is why the equipment is usually distributed or returned at the Academy, at the beginning and at the end of the academic year.
• I cannot travel to Naples. Can you ship the equipment?
Unfortunately the answer is no. The equipment cannot be shipped or picked up at a collection point. These operations must happen in-person, even if the Academy will start online.
• How will the Academy communicate important information? Via email, official website or other means?
Official and administrative information will always be communicated via email or the official website. Other specific means of communication will be set for the admitted students during the pre-academy time-frame to share information about the program of events and resources designed for them.
• Is there a phone number that I can use to get in touch with the Administration Office?
Of course there is a telephone number to get in touch with us. However, unless it’s an emergency, we kindly ask you to use emails so that we can assist you in the best way possible.
• How to attend the Academy if I am not vaccinated? Is there a vaccination policy?
The University of Naples Federico II will be following the official Governmental Regulations. We cannot predict at this time whether there will be a vaccination policy or not.
• How does the scholarship work? How much is it before tax/after tax and when will I receive it?
The maximum foreseen financial contribution for participation in the training course is € 6240,84, (Six thousand two hundred forty/84 Euro) broken down as follows: 1. Attendance allowance 2. Awards The attendance allowance is equal to a maximum total amount of € 4.602,65 (Four thousand six hundred and two/65 Euro), subject to tax withholding as this is equivalent to employment income. It can only be provided for students who are unemployed and not receiving any payment in lieu of remuneration or who are seeking their first employment. The Awards are linked to the completion of Challenges related to the creation of software applications and/or start-ups for a maximum total amount of € 1638,19 (One thousand six hundred and thirty-eight/85 Euro) gross of withholding taxes as provided for by law. These can only be applicable for students who are unemployed and not in receipt of any payment in lieu of salary or who are seeking their first job.
• I am in financial difficulty. Rather than receiving the scholarship as a single instalment, can I ask to get a part of the scholarship before the end of the Academic Year?
Sadly we cannot change the tax rules for the provision of the scholarship, therefore we are unable to make any exception. Before going to Naples make sure you have enough funds to cover the costs of your stay during the Academy period.
• Are there any student discounts for public transports provided by Federico II?
The local transport company of Naples (ANM) provides special discounts for students. You can check this link for more information: http://www.anm.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1950&Itemid=493
• I cannot find a place to stay in Naples. Are there any halls of residence I can refer to?
There are plenty of options. After signing the contract you will be given access to our internal communication channels that will help you finding an accommodation and will also provide additional information and resources about important aspects of daily life in Naples.
• How to get ready for the academy experience?
The Academy will be offering a program of events and a set of curated resources. The goal is to allow those who want to start exploring on their own to get inspired and find a place where to start from.
• SwiftUI or UIKit?
Both SwiftUI and UIKit (and the interactions between the two) will be covered.