The Developer Academy is a partnership between the University of Napoli "Federico II" and Apple.
Training at the Academy is aimed at developing apps for the world’s most innovative and vibrant app ecosystem. The program focuses on software development, startup creation and app design with an emphasis on creativity and collaboration to empower and equip students to develop the skills needed to succeed. The Academy aims to attract students from a wide range of backgrounds with the training designed to support not only those with coding or computer science experience but young people interested in areas such as design and business. The program is open to students from across Italy and around the world.
Academy classes are all based on Challenge Based Learning (CBL) which is a multidisciplinary approach to teaching and learning. Using CBL our teachers encourage students to leverage the technology they use in their daily lives to solve real-world problems. CBL is collaborative and hands-on, asking students to work with other students, their teachers, and experts in their communities and around the world to develop deeper knowledge of the subjects they are studying, accept and solve challenges, take action, share their experience, and enter into a global discussion about important issues. At the Academy, the language of instruction is English.
Besides providing all students with so-called “soft skills” (emotional intelligence, adaptability, ability to collaborate and negotiate, situational awareness, ability to communicate, etc.), the Developer Academy in Naples leverages CBL to teach topics falling in the following fields:
- Basic and Advanced Object Oriented Programming Concepts
- Design Patterns and their application to the realization of complex distributed applications for the Internet
- Programming with the Swift language
- Server-side programming basics
- Database programming basics with both SQL and NoSQL
- Graphical User Interface Design
- Design Thinking
- Rapid prototyping
- Quality of Experience (QoE) oriented design patterns
- How to gain fast and sustainable access to the market
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) management
- Product development
- Business modeling
- Business planning